The Dutch East India Company divided the area up into farms in 1657. Two of those original farms, known as Louwvliet and Questenburg, were situated where Claremont and Newlands lie today. The farm Weltevreden was formed in 1730 and the are stayed agricultural for about 150 years. In 1814 the British Settlers subdivided the farm into country estates. During the 1830’s, villages started forming and in 1840 Claremont Village was established. The village kept expanding during the 1840’s and 1850’s and in 1864 a railway was built that connected Wynberg and Cape Town. Local developments increased after the opening of the railway and the village established a church and a town hall within 10 years.
Claremont became part of the city of Cape Town in 1913 and considerable growth took place in its suburbs during the 1920’s and 30’s. This area was predominantly suburban until early 1970’s, when commercial development began in and around town. The large shopping mall, Cavendish Square, was opened in 1973, and these day you will find anything from hotels to apartment blocks located in the area.